Amazing Spaghetti

The Life, Loves, and Unadulterated Pathos of Joel Widdershins, Ph.D.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

So, I guess a word of explanation is in order about my vocabulary. In reading back over this blog, I notice that I have a tendency to over-use words like "heinous." heh heh heh Ok, it's true, I amdit it: I lonnnnng to be just like Billl S. Preston, esq. and Ted "Theodore" Logan, a/k/a/ Bill and Ted from "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure." And, while I'm thinking about it, the practice of grading blogs for vocabulary and english usage is totally bogus! Maybe it's just that I want to have George Carlin for a mentor, or maybe it's because it would be so cool to hang out with Rufus, or maybe it's the enchanting music of WYLD STALYNS!! Come to think of it, George Carlin may BE Rufus, I'm just not sure. I remember a really cool-loooking black guy in a slick suit and shades played by Clarence Clemons (sax player for Bruce Springsteen) as I recall, and for some reason the name "Rufus" comes to mind, but I've learned over years of error that this doesn't necessarily mean diddly shit.

So let's talk more about movies, whattaya say? You may have your own opinion about the greatest movie of all time, past, present, and future, but surely you'll admit that your insight pales in comparison to my eminently reasonable and sound judgment on the matter. CLEARLY, the greatest movie of All Time is Raising Arizona. This just goes without saying. If you disagree, then you clearly haven't seen the movie. If you've seen the movie and still disagree, then you need to 1) see the movie again, and PAY ATTENTION this time, and/or 2) immediately surrender yourself for psychiatric evaluation and detention. Ok, I freely admit that the Coen brothers (Joel --I'm his namesake, blush, blush, and Ethan) have made a few movies that are, shall we say, questionable. I approached "Fargo" expecting to laugh my butt off. Guess what? No dice dude! Oh, it's ok, I guess, in a kind of a sick, weird sorta way, but it wholly lacks the innocent charm of "Raising Arizona." "O Brother Where Art Thou" comes close. VERY close. In fact, there are arguably moments in that one that are more uproariously funny than "Raising A", but, overall, I have to say that it falls rather short. And I have to admit that George Clooney is a more dashing lead than Nicholas Cage (sorry, Nick), but I hasten to point out that Nick's character was not intended to be dashing in any sense of the word, nor can anyone be dashing while dressed in an undershirt and sitting in the middle of the living room floor of a trailer house surrounded by spilled cheerios. Or maybe it was Captain Crunch. (That, by the way, is an homage to the movie: "maybe it was Utah," <-- which is, quite possibly, the funniest line in the entire-ruh movie, but, unless you're really paying attention to the ENTIRE-RUH movie, you'll miss it.) Clearly, "Raising Arizona" also has a vastly superior supporting cast also: John Goodman, WILLIAM FORSYTHE for goodness' sake! (in a role that is the absolute pinnacle of his illustrious career, no doubt!), Holly Hunter, and Randall "Tex" Cobb. John Forsythe as Evelle Snoates is well-worth the price of admission all by itself. "Gale? Junior needs to take hisself a little ol' rest stop."

In keeping with my newly formed tradition of posing a really pesky question at the end of my entries, here goes nothing: Why, oh why, oh why, do two of the filaments in any three-way bulb belonging to me always burn out so quickly? Seems like every time I get a new 3-way bulb, it works fine for about 3 days, and the POOF, there goes the brightest setting, and then soon, POOF, there goes the lowest setting. *sigh* And, why, by the way, does that really torque me off so much??

2 Comments:

Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Ok, have you and I ever discussed my passion for Coen brothers movies?

10:28 AM  
Blogger Joel Widdershins said...

No, we sure haven't! I share that passion with you, if you couldn't tell! I knew you were smart enough to share that passion with me!

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home